Collage Making Workshop
Saturday, May 30
Cost: $85 includes materials/supplies
Workshop has limited space. Please register early.
Collage is “an artistic composition made of various materials such as paper, cloth or wood, glued on a surface”. The good news about collage is you do not have to be Michelangelo to create dramatic pieces that make a statement. You can “borrow” already existing materials to create your piece and tell your story. You don’t even need to draw; the most important aspect of collage is to play! And you can use things from your life as a source of your story – a stamp from your childhood pen pal’s letter, a menu from your favorite restaurant or a flyer and subway stubs from your last vacation. Each attendee is invited to bring elements to collage that are meaningful to you.
This 3-hour workshop will give you the time and basic knowledge you will need to put these elements together in a dramatic way. We will talk briefly about basic composition and color theory before we get started. We will explore several methods for creating interesting backgrounds for your work and you can select two methods for the pieces you will create. After your backgrounds have dried, you can select the unique elements you will use to create your collage masterpieces. Join us for a relaxing afternoon of creative exploration!
What you should bring:
- Inexpensive 1” brush available at hardware stores
- Acrylic paint brushes if you have them (if not, I will supply them)
- Two water containers
- Paper towels
- Favorite acrylic paint if there is a specific color you want to use, otherwise I will supply it
Each student will receive two small canvases to use for the techniques described below
- 1:00 – 1:20 pm description of the materials and collage methods
- 1:20 – 3:30 pm will be spent creating the backgrounds and adding collage elements to the canvas backgrounds
- 3:30 – 4:00 pm – Clean-up