Charcoal and Pastels
Instructor: Roberta Kiphuth
Class Size Limit: 10
*NOTE: These classes have limited space availability, please sign up early.
- how to use compressed charcoal, vine charcoal, charcoal pencils
- how to control results through blending, erasing and using hard edges
- how to use layers to build dimension
- composition and use of white space
- the basic in color theory
Materials List: (bold items required)
- Charcoal paper pad – 11 x 14 or larger
- Sketchbook – whatever size works for you
- Vine charcoal sticks (soft, medium and hard)
- Compressed charcoal sticks (soft, medium, hard)
- Kneaded eraser, vinyl or rubber eraser
- Blending stumps of various sized
- Paper towel or soft cotton cloth
- Set of basic color pastels (NOT oil pastels)
- Basic pencils for sketching
- 12″ ruler (optional)
- Fixative spray (optional)
- Fine tooth sandpaper (optional)
- Drawing board (optional) — Should be larger than you drawing pad paper size. Our recommendation is the Jack Richeson Ultra light Aluminum Edge Drawing board from Amazon.com for about $30.00.
- Folding Easel (optional) – make sure it is large enough to hold your pad or drawing board.
A pdf of the supplies needed will also be sent to you after registration with suggestions on brands and where to get them.