Printmaking: Gel Plates and Monoblock Prints
Saturdays, Feb 22 – Mar 28
(No class March 7 – may be used as a make up day)
Optional supply fee: $70
If you want to borrow Detati Art tools for the all the classes just register for the class without the optional supply fee and let us know.
Instructor: Roberta Kiphuth
Class Size Limit: 10
*NOTE: These classes have limited space availability, please sign up early.
An introduction to printmaking, students will create monoprints using Gelli plates and linoleum cut blocks. We will experiment with colors, layering and creating unique prints. One session will be used to create and print your own set of greeting or note cards.
In this class you will:
- learn basic techniques for printmaking
- explore use of various materials for making marks and prints
- learn about composition and creating balanced prints
If you want Detati Art to provide supplies for you to use while taking this class, add the optional supply fee at registration.
Most of the items below are cheaper from www.Dickblick.com if you have time to order.
CARVING BLOCKS: Speedball Mounted Linoleum carving blocks – min 5″ x 7″ (need 2) at Michaels or
Blick Battleship Gray linoleum blocks – min 5″ x 7″ (need 2) from Dick Blick
CARVING TOOLS: Speedball Linoleum Cutter Kit – Michaels or
Blick Lino Cutter Set – Dick Blick
- Speedball Soft Rubber Brayer – 3″ or 4″ – Michaels only carries 4″, other sizes availble from Dick Blick
- Speedball Printmaster Paper Pads for Block Printing, 50 sheets – 9 x 12 – Dick Blick Or get a larger size and can cut down
- Gelli Arts Printing plate – Min 5″ x 7″ Dick Blick, not available at Michaels – 8 x 10 is a preferable size if within your budget
Recommended, but not required
- a general purpose Baren
- specialty papers for printing on
- inking plate or palette
Other supplies needed:
- Apron and latex gloves (if wanted)
- Old magazines, or scrap paper to clean brayer
- Any stencils you have you want to use
- Roll of masking or painters tape